Wednesday, October 20

A good sandwich

Mellow day at work, enlivened by a visit from C & her baby. Starting to find myself naturally swing back towards healthier eating habits, it's just time.

AM SNACK: 8:15am, iced green tea
BREAKFAST:
10am, vegetarian sandwich, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Wow wow wow wow. I was at Almondine again this morning, craving a sandwich. I've stuck with the turkey & cheese, as the tuna and 'vegetarian' didn't hold much interest. But in the name of getting back on track of my nutrition, I looked closely at the vegetarian sandwich: it was on a nice slice of rustic whole wheat bread, and it didn't have meat and cheese in it.

When I sat down with it, I first said "yuck!", and picked out the cauliflower. I did notice a nice wide selection of veg -- eggplant, zucchini, onion & red pepper, as well as broccoli, asparagus, mushroom and the aforementioned ick. It smelled slightly vinegary, the way proper roasted sandwich veg should. The bread had a squirt of fragrant olive oil, and little bits of curdy pot cheese studded the affair.

When I took my first bite, I realized a few things: the pot cheese was chevre, a nice tangy goat cheese. I noticed the balance of vegetables and cheese to bread was in perfect balance, and I noticed the veg was marinated in something involving roasted garlic.

Despite my reservations, again Almondine delivered the best ever vegetarian sandwich to mah mouf. Again, an ordinary food item is elevated to something wonderfully special in their bakery. Maybe not the ultimate health sandwich, but a step up from the turkey & emmenthaller with mayo on white bread.

PM SNACK: 1pm, 1 slice of experimental white pizza, .25 bowl, hunger 2/5
Not hungry, but had to eat it, it's my job.

PM SNACK: 3:15pm 8oz  sprite, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
PM SNACK:
4pm, green salad, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
PM SNACK:
5:30pm, 2 freshly baked meatballs, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
PM SNACK:
5:45, 3 homebaked cookies
Coworker baked them, using my advice greatly improved them. Nice.

PM SNACK: 7pm, one half of a slice of pizza


DINNER: 10pm, burger and fries, a slice of cold pizza, 4 mini muffins, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: