Friday, January 28

Parental looming large

Edie had a large morning snack, grapes and cheerios and teething biscuits and water and all dat, yo. So when I sat down to eat my lunch, she pretty much begged for some, so I tore off pieces and fed her some. I first gave her a bit of fish, which she kept in her mouth for a few seconds, then screwed up her face and let it fall to her chair.

I found myself in a weird position, trying to convince Edie that something is actually really good, despite her clearly not liking it. -sigh-. I'm a parent, just like my mom trying to convince me that fruit is actually good. Hrumph.

Oooh, and for the first time in quite a while, almost had a fully "green" day!

TODAY'S COOKING
Mock Superhippy Bread: Soaked a cup of the 7 grain cracked cereal in a cup of water, and and added 1/2 cup of water to the recipe over all. Bread came out nice and puffy, not a tiny dense lead brick like before. Unfortunately, the high moisture lead to weak gluten, where the protein chains were pulled too thin, resulting in a bread that crumbled and fell apart when trying to cut. Tasty, looked good, next time will eliminate the 1/2 cup of water, maybe add a tablespoon or two of vital gluten.

Potatonick: Got a cool book recently, the Encyclopedia of Jewish Food, the first thing I looked up was Potatonik. My dad turned me on to it, picking it up regularly from Moishe's, a local kosher bakery. It's basically a yeasted potato bread, like a mash-up between a latke and loaf of peasant bread. My version, compared to Moishe's, used 100% whole wheat flour and peanut oil, as opposed to white and cheap vegetable oil. And I grated the potatoes unpeeled, as my mom always believed the nutrition was in the peel! It came out less greasy and a bit fluffier than store bought, but very potato-nikky. Next time I make it, gonna use the traditional fat for this dish -- shmaltz.

AM SNACK: 9:30am, iced green tea

LUNCH: 11:30am, pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese and smoked sable, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 4:15pm, large green salad, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 5:30pm, sprats and avocado on mock superhippy bread, small square of potatonik, pickle, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 6:30, small piece of shortbread, chocolate chops and cashews, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: