Monday, January 24

Wish for March

Felt a bit grim in the morning, but getting out and taking Edie to the morning playgroup helped. Some grocery shopping then banging around the kitchen until B got home made for a good day. So cold, I think most people in the North East are with me in starting to wish for late March sooner than later.

TODAY'S COOKING:
Buttermilk Pancakes: Made plain buttermilk pancakes with just real vanilla as a flavoring, to let the tang of the cultured dairy come through. I used the same-old store-bought stuff, but next time I'm going to use some fancy farmer's market buttermilk to see if it makes any difference.

Mock Superhippy Bread: In the breadmachine again, the 100% whole wheat I've made before with a cup of 9 cracked grain cereal from the bulk section of the supermarket thrown in. Total fail, it didn't really rise or come together as a loaf. I did eat some of it, reminded me of super-dense Scandinavian bread. I think the cereal absorbed a lot of water, preventing proper gluten development. Next time, I'm going to presoak the cereal.


AM SNACK: 8:30am, small handful of chocolate covered coffee beans

LUNCH: 1:15pm, 7 small buttermilk pancakes, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER: 6:15pm, sardines on failed superhippy bread, large green salad, dulce de leche ice cream, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Surprisingly, the homemade ice cream is still good, and relatively soft. Most homemade ice cream in the freezer goes a bit funky after a week or two, crystallizing and taking off flavors. I think the cooked condensed milk I added for flavor is acting as a stabilizer, like the crappy guar gums and stuff you get in cheap ice cream.


EVENING SNACK: 8pm, cashews and chocolate chips

EVENING SNACK: 10pm, left over pasta, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: