Sunday, April 17

Just like my mom never made.

After waking up at 6 from an 11 hour snooze, got out on the bike and did 60 miles before technical difficulties derailed me in deep dark Staten Island. I lucked out, as it was only 20 minutes to walk to the rail road, and the train came the same minute I got on the platform. I hadn't been on that railroad since I was a child, and my mom was taking me and my brother to Tottenville for a day trip. It was like I remembered it -- NYC subway cars, but the seats are the wrong color, and all the many, many stops are above ground. And you only pay at the ferry, there are no turnstiles or staff at the different stations.

Got home mid afternoon, took Edie out and did chores, cooked up food in the eve, got to bed after some solid TV watching.

TODAY'S COOKING:
Pancakes: Betsy announced she wanted pancakes for dinner, so when I took Edie out, I swung by the market on Essex to pick up the slammin' buttermilk. Unfortunately, I left my kitchen scale at school so had to eye ball the dry ingredients, still came out ok.

Matzoh Farfel: For the two seders I'm attending tomorrow and Tuesday. Basically matzoh stuffing. Fried onion and celery in vegetable lard, made a wondeful mushroom duxelle with a variety of dried mushrooms friends have given me (reconstituted in chicken stock), added the duxelle and fried that too, then added the crumbled matzoh, mushroom-infused stock and a few beaten eggs, mixed it, salt & peppered it, baked it covered for 20 minutes, and viola! Just like my mom never made!

AM SNACK: 7am, iced green tea

BREAKFAST: 7:15am, smoothie, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


BIKE SNACK: 8am, toasted sesame donut, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5


BIKE SNACK: 11am, 32 oz Gatorade


BIKE LUNCH: 12:30, veggie burger 6" sub, Cheetos, coke, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5


LINNER: 3:30pm, sweet & sour shrimp with pork fried rice, egg roll, quart of water, 1.5 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACKING: 5-8pm, a pancake, a mini ice cream cone, a pint of iced tea, quart of water

No comments: