Friday, May 13

Sick (Cookin' anyway)

Can't remember the last time I was full-on sick that wasn't related to my digestive tract. Woke up at 7 with the noises of the ladies, went back to bed and woke at 9 when B had to leave. Stuffy head, groggy, stomach tight, felt warm.

Fortunately, Edie was in a happy and easy going mood, and she hung out in the kitchen watching me and playing with books while I toiled in the kitchen and went down a list of chores B left for me. I took E out for an hour to run around in a playground, and definitely felt the weight of my lack of energy.

Vitamin C pills and a tylenol joined dinner. Even though I spent a good part of the day making burritos, I just felt the need to coddle myself with ordering in. In bed by 8, asleep by 8:30. Pretty much did everything I planned to do today, except go to snickleyoga. Wah!

TODAY'S COOKING
Cake batter ice cream: This will be a component in Edie's birthday sweet, never made it before. I read several contradictory recipes on how to make this, so I went with my gut. I got the cheapest, fakest yellow cake mix possible, and made it to the instructions on the box. I took 2 cups of the batter and through it into hot pre-sieved creme anglais, and hoped for the best. Will review the results tomorrow, when I churn it.

Burritos: Black beans cooked on the stove top all day with some store-bought sofrito, shredded onion, salt and a dash of Tabasco. Guacamole made with avocados, lime juice, cilantro, minced onion, a dash of salt and a dash of olive oil. Brown rice cooked up in canned vegetable stock. Block of mild cheddar shredded. All plopped into whole-wheat tortillas. Wrapped 'em up and froze half.

Salad: Haven't made a proper green salad at home in quite a while.


BREAKFAST: 9am, ice cream sandwich

AM SNACK: 11am, 2 cupcakes 
With the left over batter from the ice cream, cooked off half a dozen cupcakes. Very fakey tasting, but extremely tender despite mixing the hell out of it in the kitchen aid. They must use some extra-milled super-low gluten pastry flour in that shiz.



LUNCH: 2pm, hot dog, kraut and cheese perogies, water, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

PM SNACK: 4:45pm, half an ice cream sandwich


DINNER: 7pm, shrimp in garlic sauce with black beans and yellow rice, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: