Sunday, May 8

Mutha

My cooking was only a new hobby in the last few years of my mom's life, but I do remember one evening she came over with her sister, and I made them dinner. I don't remember exactly what I served, I think it may have been one of the first times I made pasta from scratch. I remember the food I made as being distinctly 'meh', but mom and aunt saying they were very impressed, and none-too-subtly hinting that boy, wouldn't you make a catch for the right woman! He he.

My mom was a horrible cook. My grandmother was a great cook, but she passed way before I had any interest in cooking. My mom rejected her cooking skills as something that somehow denigrated her own professional life, or something. I hope Edie will have it all when she's ready -- be a professional, be a mom AND be a good home cook!!

TODAY'S COOKING
Cured Salmon: Took out the fish today and sliced it, after turning it onto it's flesh side yesterday morning. Looked really good, packaged most of it for the mom's day celebration in Brooklyn, but got hungry and busted out a bagel. Fish was pretty tasty, the creme de cassis giving it a slightly fruit-punchy smell (in a good way.)

AM SNACK: 8:45am, iced green tea
Huh. No sugar at all. First thing I noticed was how flat and cardboardy it tasted, but after 3 or 4 more sips, liked it a lot more. Sencha is a very juicy, thick mouthfeel for tea, and with out the sugar, the bitter elements of the toasty part of the taste really comes out unmuted, which is actually quite nice. Next time I make a gallon of Sencha, I'm gonna go 1/8 cup of sugar instead of 1/2 cup, see if I can get a rounder flavor without squashing the toasted note.

BREAKFAST: 10am, toasted pumpernickel bagel with cream cheese and homemade lox, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Holy crap, the pumpernickel from Kossars is garbage compared to the big, loud pumpernickel loaf I made a few weeks ago. I guess I might have to make a my own pumpernickel bagels from now on. Hmmmm.

LUNCH: 12:45pm, a few cups of rosemary lemonade, a few pieces of bread with hummus, a scone, a biscuit, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5


PM SNACK: 2:15pm, a couple of madelines


PM SNACK: 5:15pm, a few squares of good chocolate, with good peanut butter, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5
While eating this, Edie ran up and demanded some, so I fed her bits of peanut butter off my finger, she ate it like a doggie or cat, it was SO CUTE, and she demanded more about 5 or 6 times. It's now a few hours later, and there has been zero reaction, so I guess Edie doesn't have crazy allergies.

DINNER: 9:30pm, shrimp saag with rice, naan, water, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5


EVENING SNACK: 11pm, cheesecake, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: