Sunday, July 22

Five Donut Saturday

ADDENDA:
Spent the weekend not thinking about my diet, other than when I was putting food in my face. I guess this post is more indicitive of my 'real' diet than when I'm constantly thinking about it.

Saturday - Woke up early to ride up to Croton Resevoir on my new mountain bike - fell off three times, took 10 hours, and was a truly epic ride. Not listed is about 200 oz of tap and bottled water.

BREAKFAST 6:15am toasted bagel & butter, 2 donuts, seltzer, hunger 2/5. Gotta start the ride right. Took the 2 donuts from teh Donut Plant on the Subway, so the sugar would still be hitting me when I got on the bike at Van Cortlandt park.

LUNCH: 1pm turkey and swiss on kaiser, corn chips, lots of water, hunger 4/5. In Ossining, realized my stomach was tight, disguising my hunger - on a ride like this, if you get hungry-hungry, you're too late. Ate this meal out of habit - it's what I always eat on a ride like this. A lot of salt, hmmm.

PM SNACK: nasty emergen-C water - During the ride, I tried this out instead of Gatorade, on Ilsa's advice. 3 packets in 22 oz of watert, pretty much to the packet's instructions. IT TASTED LITERALLY LIKE URINE, if I were to imagine what pee would taste like. Chugged about a 1/4 of the bottle, but couldn't drink anymore. Going to experiment with a less intense mix and maybe some honey.

PM SNACK: 3 cider donuts, hunger 4/5. Back in Ossening, went to the same deli for a 1.5 liter bottle of water, noticed the farmer's market across the street - why didn't I go THERE for lunch before, I thought. Without thinking before, it didn't even register. There were assorted baked goods I totally could of vibed to. So I had 3 smallish cider donuts, moist and delicious and fresh., an excellent sugary snack to keep me going when my energy was starting to get tapped. Had a slight headache before this, headache got bad soon after, undoubtedly egged on by the riding. Went away after a few miles.

PM SNACK: 6pm, cliff bar, hunger 4/5. Back on the train going home, starting to tighten muscles, loosen stomach. Had this for emergency use, and if I didn't eat it, I would of bonked. Got me home!

DINNER: 7pm - huge bowel of pasta in pesto & 2 pork medalions, hunger 4/5. Ridiculously large bowl of pasta, 2 big pieces of meat, very satisfying - and no headache or stomache ache, too. First time I've cooked myself read meat (excuse me, the other white meat) of this sort, pan fried with a little olive oil, sea salt and fresh pepper. Reminded me very much of when my mom would make pork chops in the broiler, always tough and overcooked. I thought I cooked them just right but forget they keep cooking themselves when you take them off the heat, which caused mine to be a little mom-like, but still delicious.

EVENING SNACK: 8:30 sugar free lemon ice - not hungry but desired something cold and sweet

EVENING SNACK: 11pm 2 graham crackers with nutella, hunger 3/5 - Cravings.


Sunday

ADDENDA: After breakfast, B took me to a slightly shady back rub place in Chinatown as a little gift. During the 30 minute rub down, my face was straight down in a hole in the table, nothing to distract or amuse me other than the hands beating the crap out of my muscles and bones. I thought of Ilsa's recommendation to try and take 2 minutes a day to focus just on breathing. When I did, I found myself catching my breathe, the same way it becomes hard to blink when you think about your automatic blink reponse. Weird. I gotta try it again when a little chinese woman with too much makeup isn't working me over.

BREAKFAST: 9am organic pancakes with organic bacon, seltzer, syrup, hunger 4/5. Pancakes were dry and a little bitter, going to experiment with adding whole milk and a little honey to the batter.

AM SNACK: Noon, raw stringbeans, hunger 4/5. On the ride back from the massage, we went to our new local farmers market for the first time. Got a lot of produce, some really yummy looking, some straight up weird - I had to be directed to the red onions because they were unrecognizable in their fresh, unprocessed form - both purple and white, with long green scallion-like stems, and no dry outter skin. Gonna make a rocking salad.

LUNCH 3pm - philly cheese steak with fries, tofu stick, 1 beer, water, hunger 4/5. Road bikes with B and a couple of good friends, wound our way out to Red Hook, to a bar. Could of ate something healthier, but desired this, something I usually don't crave. Felt ok, not great after. No headache. Noticed they served their fries with sea-salt.

PM SNACK: 4pm pint of mint chocolate chip soy icecream shared 4 ways, hunger 2/5. Sat on the outside deck of the Redhook Fairway looking at the water.

PM SNACK: 8pm diet sprite, not hungry at all but desirous of something sweet.

DINNER: 9:30pm 3 corn on cob, good butter and sea salt, hunger 2/5. Not hungry enough for dinner, but got this corn at the farmers market. SWEET and AMAZING, best corn this summer so far.

EVENING SNACK: 11pm, piece of potato nik, hunger 3/5. Afraid I'd get hungrier if I didn't eat something. From freezer, a savory potato bread from a local kosher bakery.

No comments: