Monday, July 23

Monday Morning Temptations

PRE BREAKFAST: 8am, small glass of water, hunger 1/5. Just could not even think of food, sat at kitchen table and read and felt vaguely nautious. Am I getting sick? Only slept 6 hours, but had a 2 hour nap yesterday afternoon.

BREAKFAST: 9:30 am, croisant and crappy donut, hunger 2/5. Work early on a rainy Monday, not really hungry but know I will be. In the rare situation of eating breakfast at work, I usually go quick and easy with a couple of pork sausage rounds and a small lump of tater tots. Looking back, a) it's a salt mine and b) I'd probably get a headache. So I denied myself - it looked both yukky and yummy at the same time. The croisant looked buttery and flaky, and I took the donut to make myself feel less denied, but after eating it, well, it wasn't nearly as good as the Saturday donuts - a waste of indulgence.

LUNCH #1: 12:15pm, 2/3 of a piece of ginger salmon on a kaiser roll, 1/2 of a large portion of mashed potatos, 20 oz water, hunger 2/5. Not hungry but it's raining out so the corporate cafeteria will be painfully slow if I wait. Didn't intend to get potatos, but the fish comes with one side, so it was either fries (salt!) or steamed veg (mush!) . Salmon is boring and not tasty, potatos nice consistency...but needs salt, butter and gravy. If I was hungrier, I would of felt denied something. Feel like....PIZZA. I think the one thing I've been denying myself without conciously knowing it is the 2-slice street pizza lunch I tend to do once a week or so. Hmmm. Wish I packed something yummy today.

LUNCH #2: 4pm, 3/4 of a very large falafel sandwich, 20 oz water, hunger 4/5. After the first lunch, got a rare acidy stomach, not pleasant. Hunger returned closer to 4, but had to rush through the sandwich to get to a last minute meeting.

DINNER: 8pm, half a frozen American Flatbread pizza, large green salad, diet black cherry soda, hunger 4/5. Salad made from farmer's market ingredients. Carrots still had dirt on them, tasted weirdly minty. Cucumbers had no wax on them, tasted more cucumbery than I remember. Red onion was weird but pleasantly sweet, no papery outter layer and a long green stem I never saw on an onion. The frozen pizza was good, expensive 'hand crafted organic blah blah blah' brand sold in Whole foods, but reading the nutritional information, the thing was three servings, with 57% of the daily recommended sodium intake! Which meant my piece was closer to 75%! I really should limit pizza intake to only the best, or cheeseless.

EVENING SNACK: 9:30pm Tofu peanutbutter chocolate pie batter, hunger 3/5. Feeling craving for sweets but not feeling more diet stuff, so made the pie I had ingredients for. Experimented with using olive oil as the lipid in the graham cracker crust, added peanut butter to the batter for flavor. Read all the info on the packets, split 8 ways, each piece of pie has about 100mg (about 6% daily) sodium - and most of that is from the graham crackers. Need to source a low sodium graham cracker, or make a flower crust with another fat. It was fun to whip up a pie and experiment rather than just shovel in some chocolate.

No comments: