Monday, April 13

No pizza....wait, no, there was pizza.

BREAKFAST: 8am, 2 street cart donuts, water, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH: 12:15pm, swiss and turkey on rye, French fries, chocolate egg cream, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5
Went to Eisenberg’s Sandwiches, across from the Flat Iron, where B works. I hate to admit it, but I found out about this classic NY institution from Bourdain’s TV show. It’s a lunch counter and small dining room that’s been operating for over 75 years, and its menu, motif, and style hasn’t changed much. I sat at the counter, ordered without a menu, and had exactly what I ordered in under 60 seconds. I say exactly, because I wanted lettuce, tomato, a pickle, a little slaw, but I guess you have to ask. B had a mediocre veggie burger….but this is not the place for veggie burgers. The sandwich was perfectly serviceable, and the fries were good, but looking at what other people were eating, I probably should have gotten the matzo ball soup.

I heard someone order an egg cream, so I thought, OK, this is a place where you should order an egg cream. Thing is, I never had an egg cream before, despite my father's fond reminiscence of having them as a child. I know, in theory, what it is: milk, chocolate syrup, and seltzer. In practice it is…..well, nothing special. Watered down chocolate milk with a bit of light fizz, not impressive. It’s like Yoohoo, minus all the chemically thickeners and preservatives.

PM SNACK: 4:30pm, bite of falafel, bite of chocolate
At K's house, she's ever the good hostess.

PM SNORT: 5:45pm, 12 oz of beer, peanuts, .5 bowl, hunger 3/5
Midtown after-work drink with E. The sink in the bathroom at Brasserie is trough-style and is slightly low hung, and there's no urinal....for a second, I thought it was a trough-urinal. If I were drunk, I would have totally peed in that sink.

DINNER: 9:30pm, 2 slices crappy pizza, .75 bowl, hunger 4/5
Out in Soho with L and his daughters, talking restaurant business. We went to Arturo's on Houston, a coal-oven pizzeria that's been there forever. L even ate there in 1969 and thought it was mediocre then. And it still is now. At least they're consistent!!

EVENING SNACK: 11pm, 1 crappy frozen waffle with home made mint chip ice cream, .5 bowl, hunger 4/5
That ice cream will make even a crappy waffle sing.

No comments: