Tuesday, July 28

Home Alone, with Edie


Today was not boring. I hoped to wake early and ride, but couldn't fall asleep last night. B left Edie & I alone at 11:30 to get her hair worked over. I now have a new appreciation for what B is going through -- this baby does NOT want to be put down, ignored or left alone. Her sleeps are unmercifully brief. I was determined to do what I was going to do AND be Poppa Supreme.

So I filter chicken stock, rendered chicken fat and made really good buttermilk pancakes from scratch. I used a recipe from Cook's Illustrated, which involved buttermilk (duh), creme fraiche, eggs galore, and melted butter. They came out amazing, both rich and hearty and light and fluffy at the same time, as impossible sounding as that is.

AND I did all that (and washed the dishes) with my right hand, as my left arm was wrapped around Edie against my heart (literally and figuratively). She was just...chillin'. OK, it took 2x longer to do all that with one hand, but better than not doing it at all. Now if I was working with Edie 24/7, maybe my energy wouldn't be so focused. But I can't wait to have Edles assist me in my cooking expeditions.

B checked in, and after finding all was well, strolled home. I put on clothes and plopped Edes in a sling and we met momma for a sit in the park by our building. A nice calm way to end me & Birdie's first adventure together!

K, a friend I haven't seen in WAY too long, came over for dinner and to see the baby. Being that everything was made yesterday, it was easy to whip out a 3 course meal for her with minimal effort.

BREAKFAST: 10am, apple muffin, .25 bowl, hunger 4/5

LUNCH:
1pm, 5 buttermilk pancakes, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER pt 1:
5:45pm, large green salad, 2 ears of boiled corn, gatorade, 1 bowl, hunger 4/5

DINNER pt 2: 8:15pm, baked ziti, mint lemonade, shortbread, 1.25 bowl, hunger 4/5

No comments: